The Africa-America Institute Announces 30th Annual Awards Gala: “Powering Africa’s Future through Regional and Global Partnerships”
WHAT: The Africa-America Institute, a leading New York-based international education and policy organization, will host a spectacular 30th Annual Awards Gala on Monday, September 22, at Gotham Hall, 1356 Broadway at 36th Street,in New York City. AAI has been dedicated to advancing education and professional training for Africans, and promoting engagement between Africa and America through education, training and dialogue.
The Awards Gala anniversary theme is “Powering Africa’s Future through Regional and Global Partnerships”. Held annually during the opening week of the United Nations General Assembly, distinguished U.S. and African leaders and top diplomats will gather for one of the most high profile Africa-focused event in New York City.
The evening’s program will feature the presentation of awards followed by a moderated “Conversation on Africa” focusing on fostering greater regional and global partnerships for development with honorees.
Each year, AAI presents awards to extraordinary individuals and corporations who have made remarkable contributions to socio-economic development progress in Africa.
- H.E. President Alassane Ouattara, President of the Republic of Cote d’Ivoire
- Vivienne Yeda Apopo, Director-General of the East African Development Bank (EADB)
- Professor Thandika Mkandawire ,Chair of African Development at the London School of Economics (LSE).
- Jay Ireland, President and CEO of General Electric Africa
- Isha Sesay, CNN International anchor
- Jeffrey Wright, Emmy Award Winning Actor
- Yvonne Chaka Chaka, South African Legendary Singer
- Malaak Compton-Rock of The Angelrock Project
- Somi, A Rwandan Singer & Songwriter
- The Honorable George Monyemangene, South African Consul General
- Ambassador Alice Dear of A.M. Dear & Associates
- Nuno Santo, Global Communications Director at Pfizer
- Saycon Sengbloh, Broadway actress with FELA!, Motown, and Holler If Ya Hear Me
**Media accreditation is required to cover the Awards Gala, and will not be granted on site.
WHEN: Monday, September 22, 2014
Press Call Time: 5:00PM
5:30-6:30PM – Red Carpet Arrivals [AAI Gala Honorees & VIPs]
7:00 PM – Dinner and Awards Ceremony
WHERE: Gotham Hall, 1356 Broadway at 36th Street,New York City.
MORE INFO: To purchase tickets and for more information, please visit www.aaionline.org
ABOUT AAI: Founded in 1953, The Africa-America Institute (AAI) is a premier U.S.-based international education and policy organization dedicated to strengthening the human capacity of Africans and promoting the continent’s development through higher education and skills training, convening activities, partner engagement, and research. For more information on AAI, please visit http://aai1.wpengine.com