June 12, 2014
8:30 am - 10:00 am
AAI will launch its first Conversations on Africa Series forum in Washington, D.C. on Capitol Hill. The “Conversation” theme is “AGOA 2015: Positioning Renewal to Ensure Better Human Capacity Training”.
With six of the 10 fastest growing economies in the world, Africa offers untapped markets and tremendous economic promise. Indeed, the continent is now poised to take charge of its own development and growth. For the panel discussion, panelists will explore how the renewal of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) can help expand educational opportunities and training to strengthen Africa’s human capital and enable trade to flourish.
Welcome: Amini Kajunju, AAI President & CEO
Opening Remarks: The Honorable Karen Bass (D-Calif.) and Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights and International Organizations.
Ambassador Michael A. Battle, Senior Advisor, U.S.- Africa Leaders Summit
Moderator: Kamran Khan, Vice President of the Department of Compact Operations, Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC)
- Her Excellency Liberata Mulamula, Ambassador to the United States, United Republic of Tanzania
- Witney Schneidman, Non-Resident Fellow, Africa Growth Initiative, The Brookings Institute
- Steve Hayes, President and CEO, The Corporate Council on Africa
- Steve Lamar, Executive Vice President, American Apparel & Footwear Association
- The Honorable Florizelle Liser, Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Africa, Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
- Gregory Simpkins, Majority Staff Director, House Subcommittee on Africa, Global Human Rights and International Organizations