September 21, 2013
Hunter College – West Building, 68th Street (between Lexington & Park Aves.) 3rd Floor Cafeteria
New York City
Admission $30.00 at the door
8:30 a.m. Registration, Networking and Breakfast
9:30 a.m. Welcome
10 a.m. From the Frontlines: Conversations with Expatriates and Repatriates
As Africa continues to experience tremendous business growth the need for skilled labor has never been greater. Returning home to work in Africa or accepting a position there as an expatriate can be daunting even for the most seasoned professional. Hear from African expatriates and repatriates about work and home life in Africa and tips to make the transition a success.
Moderator: Amini Kajunju, President and CEO, AAI
- Yero Balde, Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Guinea (West Africa)
- Dapo Oyewole, Technical Adviser to the Minister of National Planning of Nigeria
- Debbie Peters, Fund Manager at AiQ Capital Management Limited
- Robert Kayihura, Legal and Corporate Affairs Dept. at Microsoft (REMOTE)
11:15 a.m. Morning Break
11:30 a.m. Inside the Recruiter’s Mind
Get a firsthand account of international and regional hiring needs from global companies and national policymakers as they share what they look for in candidates and what their companies and national governments are trying to achieve in Africa. This panel will cover Diaspora policy (incentives for repatriates), local content laws, recruitment, capacity-building and talent management.
Moderator: Ishmael Dodoo, Country Advisor-UNDP Regional Bureau for Africa
- Njambi Ngunjiri, Consultant for Careers in Africa
- Dr. Josephine Ojiambo, Chief, Executive Board and External Relations Branch of United Nations Population Fund
- Paul Hinks, CEO of Symbion Power
- Didier Acouetey, Africsearch
- Kunle Olaif, Human Resources West Africa at Samsung
12:45 p.m. Lunch
2:00 p.m. The Changing Landscape of African Business
Africa is considered one of the world’s most promising emerging markets. Gain insight into what’s happening on the ground in technology, infrastructure, ecommerce, agriculture and more, as well as the skills you need to compete in these high growth sectors. This panel will focus on trends and growth sectors contributing to the boom in Africa.
Moderator: Nvalaye Kourouma, CEO of Emerging Payments and Mobile Wallet Innovation Executive of Afric Xpress Services Inc.
- Motlatsi Mthimunye, Director, Africa Desk, Global Corporates Americas for Barclays
- Dr. Mwaba P. Kasese-Bota, Permanent Mission of The Republic of Zambia to The United Nations
- Adiat Disu, Founder of Adiree, Founders of Africa Fashion Week(s)
- Malik Dechambenoit, Partner and Co-Founder at Gumbi, Dechambenoit & Associates
- Isis Nyong’o, a mobile and tech expert
- Evaristus Mainsah, General Auditor of IBM
3:15 p.m. Closing Remarks