POSITION TITLE: Sector Advisory Committee Member
The committee member plays a key role in advising the Africa-America Institute (AAI) leadership in developing strategies and programs to support Africa’s key growth sectors. He/She works with leadership to ensure adequate analysis exists to support AAI’s expansion into these key areas and that program objectives support the future needs of each sector. Each member will provide expert advice, manage and build relationships with key stakeholders and help progress program initiatives through research and review of AAI strategy and proposals.
The successful candidate will be comfortable sharing information and insights, and engaging in ongoing intellectual exchange. The candidate must be comfortable working with AAI, nonprofit, government and corporate sectors. This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
AAI seeks a mid-to-high level career professional with outstanding credentials and a strong record of professional accomplishments related to AAI’s growth industries: Oil & Gas, Transportation, Healthcare, Power/Energy, Vocational & Technical Training, and telecommunications/IT. In addition, we place high value on: integrity, flexibility, resourcefulness, and tenacity.
COMPENTENCIES & CHARACTERISTICS:
A successful candidate will bring the following core competencies to the position:
• Leadership and Vision: Bring expertise and networks to supplement AAI’s in-house resources. Assist in recruiting other leaders to serve on the committee. Attend advisory committee meetings.
• Personal Presence: Interpersonal skills to motivate and energize AAI’s employees and support constituencies. Attend AAI special events.
• Management, Finance, and Administration: Provide objective guidance and feedback on development strategies. Identify donor prospects and introduce them to AAI.
• External relations: Be an effective advocate for AAI’s mission. Be a champion and help AAI develop a case for support. Identify possible partners. Increase awareness of AAI activities through community outreach and the media.
In addition, he/she will have the following characteristics:
• Proven passion for Africa and its economic, cultural, and social engagement with America and the rest of the world based on significant professional and/or personal experience.
• Be a high-energy strategic thinker with an action-orientation; able to handle ambiguity and negotiate solutions to produce positive results.
• Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills; excellent communicator
• Commitment to AAI’s mission and core values of inclusivity and participation, knowledge and creativity, humility and respect, and honesty and integrity
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
KEY CONTACTS: Development & Strategy Officer, Program Manager, and Corporate Affairs Officer
TERMS: 12 months
COMMITMENT: 25 hours per quarter and 1‐2 in-person meetings annually.
COMPENSATION: This is a voluntary, non-executive and non-fiduciary position.
NOMINATION PROCESS:To nominate someone or for confidential consideration of your own candidacy, please send a resume/c.v. and a cover letter, including a statement on why your nominee should be a member of the committee, to:
Melissa Howell, The Africa-America Institute, 420 Lexington Avenue #1706 New York, NY 10170
Email is strongly encouraged: email@example.com
Due to the level of interest anticipated, we expect to respond to only those who most closely match our interest.