Applications Now Open
The East African Development Bank and the Africa-America Institute are pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for the 2018-2019 EADB Math, Science, Technology and Engineering University Scholarship Program. Applications are due March 7, 2018.
In partnership with the Africa-America Institute (AAI), the East African Development Bank (EADB) launched the EADB Math, Science, Technology and Engineering University Scholarship Program in 2015 to support the capacity of regional faculty teaching in fields (science, technology, engineering and math) which are critical to local employment and the growth of national economies. The fast-track, 12 month scholarships provide experienced teachers and lecturers from EADB member countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda) to earn a Masters’ degree in science, technology, engineering and Math (STEM) at Rutgers University in New Jersey, USA.
Since 2015, eight students have received this full scholarship to pursue a graduate degree at Rutgers University. As alumni, they have returned to their respective countries and are contributing towards building a skilled workforce in STEM fields in East Africa.
To be eligible for this prestigious scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen of one of the following countries: Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda
- A university graduate with a bachelor’s degree with first class/upper second honors in mathematics, sciences or engineering
- Have at least three (3) years of teaching experience in a STEM related field at a public institution in East Africa;
- Currently working full-time in public, government-owned educational institutions
- Committed to returning to their home country, to teach in a public government owned institution which is a mandatory requirement.
- Diligent in successfully completing the application process by the allotted deadlines at Rutgers University
The following Master’s Degrees are eligible under the EADB-AAI STEM Graduate Program:
- Math Education:
- Science Education:
- Cell and Developmental Biology(MS)
- Chemical and Biochemical Engineering (ME)
- Industrial and Systems Engineering (MS)
Phase 1: Due March 7
- A copy of your Bachelors degree
- Transcripts of your grades
- A completed application form (the Application Form can be downloaded here)
- A copy of your valid Passport
- A copy of your GRE scores**** (due in phase 2 with your application to Rutgers University, April 1)
- One-page essay on how you imagine the masters level education would advance your own career; and how you would then make a positive impact in advancing STEM skills development in your home country; also specify why you should be added to the pool of the applicants to apply to Rutgers University?
- Letter of support from your employer committing to employ you on completion of studies and confirming that your role is currently that of a teacher or lecturer in the STEM field.
Please ensure that you have all required documents to us by March 7
All applicants invited to move to Phase 2 will be informed, via email, by March 14, 2018.
Phase 2: Due April 1
Selected students are invited to apply to Rutgers University in one of the selected graduate programs. It is important to note that only those who have been selected from Phase 1 are invited to apply to Rutgers University.
Rutgers University requires applications to take the General GRE as part of their application process. Please refer below to specific information regarding the GRE. The result are due as part of your application to Rutgers University, by April 1.
Important Information about the GRE test dates
If selected, each applicant is responsible for submitting his/her GRE scores to Rutgers University by April 1. Please note that AAI does not cover the fee for the test.
To find out more information about the available dates and the test centres in your country, please go to the following link https://ereg.ets.org/ereg/public/workflowmanager/workflow?workflowItemId=tcAvailability
Due to limited availability for the GRE, we suggest you reserve your seats as soon as possible. the fee to take the GRE is $205 which is covered by the applicant. As you book your test dates, please note that it generally takes 10-14 days to receive your GRE results.
Send your application to EADB@aaionline.org, with the above information.
All submissions must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. Terms and conditions apply. Application deadline is March 7, 2018.
Founded in 1953, The Africa-America Institute (AAI) is a premier U.S.-based international organization dedicated to strengthening human capacity of Africans and promoting the continent’s development through higher education and skills training, convening activities, program implementation and management. AAI raises funds to develop programs that focus on leadership and management, vocational training and entrepreneurship to help African youth develop leadership skills, become globally competitive and find sustainable employment.
The East African Development Bank (EADB) was established in 1967 with the remit to provide financial and other support to its member countries, which currently are Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda. Burundi has applied to become a member state. It was re-established under its own charter in 1980 after the break-up of the East African Co-operation in 1977. The new charter opened up the Bank to a wider membership and allowed for the introduction of consulting and advisory services.
The EADB’s loan portfolio is spread widely, but more than 60% of its lending is to projects in health and education, hotels and tourism, construction and building, electricity and water, and agriculture, all of which are central to the current and future prosperity of the region and its people. EADB sees education as immensely important for the future of East Africa.
Rutgers is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University campus comprises:
- Rutgers University–New Brunswick
- Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
- Rutgers University–Newark
- Rutgers University–Camden
Generous support from Ethiopian Airlines