State of Education in Africa Conference
AAI’S 5TH ANNUAL STATE OF EDUCATION IN AFRICA (SOE) CONFERENCE
The 5th Annual State of Education in Africa conference (SOE) is a 3-day event of engaging, inspiring and challenging discussions on transforming African Higher Education for global competitiveness. The SOE brings together Higher Education stakeholders, which includes governments, academia, private sector and global philanthropy, to discuss the evolution required by the sector to build future capacities of emerging professionals and African leaders.
We will continue to include student participation throughout the conference as contributors to each panel. This year, we will also broaden their engagement to host a half-day Student Summit to support student-led engagement on key issues in Higher Education from their unique perspectives.
Please know that this conference will be held in both English and French with live Translation
La conférence se tiendra en anglais et en français, avec une traduction simultanée.
November 13: Pre Conference – By Invitation Only
November 14-15: Conference Discussions – Open to Registered Guests
- The State of Education in Africa: Special Presentation
- Ministerial Address: The State of Education in Senegal: The Programme for the Improvement of Quality, Equity and Transparency in Education and Training (PAQUET-EF)
- Researchers’ Roundtable: TrustAfrica Revisited – Equitable Partnerships between Campus and Community
- Featured Presentation: Promotion for Girls and Women’s Higher Education
- State of Education Student Summit Report
- West African Collaborative for Higher Education Report
- Fireside Chat with Mr. Ayi Kwei Armah and AAI President Mr. Kofi Appenteng
- Ministerial Panel (West African Region): The Harmonization of Education Systems through Regional Integration
- Future Capacities Panel: Pedagogy through Emergent Design for African Employability: Education for Formal, Informal & Gig economies
- African Epistemologies Panel: Indigenous Knowledge Systems for Agricultural Innovation
- Africa Amplified Panel: ‘Made in Africa’ – Globalization of the African Brand
- Open Access Panel: Demand-Driven Skills Development for Smart & Integrated Cities
REGISTER HERE / Inscrivez-vous
The State of Education in Africa Conference (SOE) is an annual convening hosted by the Africa-America Institute to bring together education innovators, decision-makers, students and stakeholders from Africa, the U.S. and other regions of the world to discuss bold approaches to transforming Africa’s higher education ecosystem in ways that bolster its global competitiveness. Presenters share their vision, enterprising ideas, learnings, and effective action plans to respond to the rapidly changing landscape on the Continent, making it a lively forum to encourage collaboration.
Across past convenings which have taken place in New York City, Lagos, Nairobi and Abidjan, the conference has looked at varying topics including Teacher Training, Early Childhood Education, Reforming STEM Education, Technical & Vocational Education and Training, Innovative Financing for Education, and Narratives on Africa and Afro-descendant women and men. We host student speakers as panelists, alongside government and international agency officials, including in 2018 when we welcomed the participation of multiple Ministers of Higher Education including the Minister of the host country, and for the first time, were honored by a Head of State present to open the conference with keynote remarks. Each year we look forward to increasing participation and attendance from a variety of private and public stakeholders such as: governments, academia, funding institutions, private sector, development agencies and students.
To promote innovation and solution-driven conversation aimed to build a globally-competitive Higher Education system and workforce in Africa;
To create a platform that challenges education stakeholders to embolden their visions and transformative ideas towards a new education landscape for Africa;
To serve as a catalyst in developing new partnerships and inspiring program innovations that improve accessibility, relevancy, and the overall impact of Africa Higher Education.
To examine the role, identity, history and representation of Africa and its people around the world, through dialogue, education, and research.
We measure the success of the State of Education in Africa conference through our ability to promote solution-driven conversation, serve as a conduit for bold, innovative vision and as a catalyst for cross- sectoral, multi-disciplinary collaborations. This offering, aligned with AAI’s key strategic pillars, presents a unique conference experience.
PAST Government PARTICIPANTS
H.E. Alassane Ouattara, President of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire
- Hon. Prof Alkassoum Maiga, Minister of Higher Education, Scientific Research and Innovation
REPUBLIC OF KENYA
- H.E Dr. Fred Matiang’i Ministry of Education
- Prof. Chacha Nyaigotti-Chacha, Chairman, Commission for University Education
REPUBLIC OF CÔTE D’IVOIRE
- Hon. Dr. Albert Toikuesse Mabri, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research
REPUBLIC OF MALI
- Dr. Amadou Ouane, Technical Expert, Ministry of Higher Education, Innovation and Scientific Research
REPUBLIC OF GHANA
- Hon. Prof. Kwesi Yankah, Minister of State-Tertiary Education
- Hon. Dr. George Afeti, Executive Secretary, National Inspectorate Board, Ministry of Education
REPUBLIC OF SENEGAL
- Prof. Amadou Adboul Sow, Director General of Higher Education, Ministry of Higher Education, Innovation and Scientific Research