East African Development Bank has launched the EADB Math, Science, Technology and Engineering University Scholarship Program, in partnership with The Africa-America Institute. Multiple fast-track, 12 month scholarships will be available to experienced teachers and lecturers with a bachelor’s degree in math, science, technology and engineering with an interest in pursuing a graduate degree in those fields in the United States at Rutgers University a world-class university less than an hour away from New York City.
Applications are now closed for the 2017 EADB Scholarships. Keep checking back for further scholarship opportunities.
Applicants must be:
- A university graduate with a Bachelor’s degree with First Class/Upper Second Honours in Mathematics, Sciences or Engineering
- Under 40 years of age and a citizen of the EADB Member States: Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda
- Experienced Teachers and Lecturers of tertiary institutions, secondary schools, and polytechnics with at least 3 years full-time teaching experience
- Working full-time in public, government owned educational institutions
- Committed to returning to their home country, to teach in a public government owned institution which is a mandatory requirement
- Diligent in successfully completing the application process by the allotted deadlines at Rutgers University
A qualified scholarship recipient will receive:
- Full tuition, room and board plus living expenses and student’s annual health insurance so to pursue a one-year Master’s degree in math and engineering; please see the available degrees of focus below.
- Round-trip ticket to the USA at the beginning of the program and back to their home country in East Africa after the completion of the program.
- Information about internships at top American and local companies working in Africa.
Master’s Degrees which qualify for the EADB Scholarship are limited to the following:
- Math Education
- Science Education
- Cell and Developmental Biology (MS) https://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/Detail.aspx?code=16148°ree=MS
- Chemical and Biochemical Engineering (ME) https://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/Detail.aspx?code=16155°ree=ME
- Chemical and Biochemical Engineering (MS) https://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/Detail.aspx?code=16155°ree=MS
- Industrial and Systems Engineering (MS) https://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/Detail.aspx?code=16540°ree=MS
- Materials Science and Engineering (MS) https://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/Detail.aspx?code=16635°ree=MS
How do I apply for the scholarship?
Send your application to EADB/AAI to email, EADB@aaionline.org, with the information below. All submissions must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. Terms and conditions apply. Application deadline to AAI, February 10, 2017.
- Your name, gender, age, and contact information including physical address
- A copy of your Bachelors degree
- Your final grades
- Letter of support from your employer that guarantees your teaching position is protected and that you will be re-instated at minimum in the same role at your current institution after the completion of studies and confirming that your role is currently that of a teacher or lecturer in the STEM field.
- One page essay on how you imagine the masters level education would advance your own career; and how you would then make a positive impact in advancing STEM skills development in the higher education institution in which are currently working.
Upon review of your application, we will notify those who have been selected to proceed with the application at Rutgers University. Only these candidates will be required to take both the GRE and IELTS standardized tests, see details below.
- Application deadline at Rutgers University for Master applicants: March 31, 2017
- First day of school at Rutgers University for Masters: September 6, 2017 (est)
Note: International students’ orientation week is the last week in August each year.
International Standardized Test Dates for GRE and IELTS
If you are invited to formally apply for the scholarship you will be required to take these two standardized tests. Both of these exams are offered at testing centers in the following countries (and are administered as a digital internet based exam.
GRE: You can register for the test online or by telephone by calling +1-800-473-2255
The cost of the exam is $195. USD. The exam is offered Year-Round Monday through Saturdays at testing sites in East Africa. Call the number above or visit their website to determine the test center closest to your home. If visiting the website, create a User Account and then select your home country before registering for a Test Site.
IELTS: You can register for the test online by visiting the following link:
The cost of the exam varies per country yet ranges from $200 USD to $210 USD. The exam is offered at various dates throughout the year, at their testing sites in East Africa. Please visit their website to determine the test center closest to your home and follow the registration instructions.
For both the GRE and the IELTS, if an applicant cannot get to physically attend a test center, then a Paper Test can be ordered and sent to your home yet this is a very slow process therefore we recommend visiting a digital testing center.
Note: International Applicants: It is recommended that international students begin the application process six months prior to the start of the semester to allow sufficient time for processing international credentials and applying for a student visa.
Student Visas: Students who are accepted into the program as an EADB Math and Engineering University Scholar will be required to comply with all relevant student visa rules and regulations. Valid student visas are required to apply to the Department of Homeland Security for admission into the United States at the port of entry. Students’ Form I-20 document (F and M visas) or DS-2019 document (J visas), which are issued by their institution, will allow them to maintain student status in the United States even if a visa expires during their studies. Click here for more information on the student visas.
Contact us: For more information about the EADB Math and Engineering University Scholarship Program, please visit www.aaionline.org
Founded in 1953, The Africa-America Institute (AAI) is a premier U.S.-based international organization dedicated to strengthening human capacity of Africans and promoting the continent’s development through higher education and skills training, convening activities, program implementation and management. AAI raises funds to develop programs that focus on leadership and management, vocational training and entrepreneurship to help African youth develop leadership skills, become globally competitive and find sustainable employment.
The East African Development Bank (EADB) was established in 1967 with the remit to provide financial and other support to its member countries, which currently are Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda. Burundi has applied to become a member state. It was re-established under its own charter in 1980 after the break-up of the East African Co-operation in 1977. The new charter opened up the Bank to a wider membership and allowed for the introduction of consulting and advisory services.
The EADB’s loan portfolio is spread widely, but more than 60% of its lending is to projects in health and education, hotels and tourism, construction and building, electricity and water, and agriculture, all of which are central to the current and future prosperity of the region and its people. EADB sees education as immensely important for the future of East Africa.
Rutgers is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University campus comprises:
- Rutgers University–New Brunswick
- Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
- Rutgers University–Newark
- Rutgers University–Camden
Generous support from Ethiopian Airlines